We’re excited for our pre–season work to start soon! Here are some details:
Our pre–season practices start Monday, June 6. Our current plan is:
Occasionally we may try a Durham parkrun, switch to Hilltop–Needmore Park, or do some track work at Apex Friendship Middle School. We’re planning to use TeamSnap exclusively to communicate changes to practice location and schedule, so please reach out to us if you are not on TeamSnap currently.
Our primary coaches will be Scott Moonen, Eli Ruhl, Josiah Ruhl. Please let us know if you’re interested and available to assist with coaching in case someone else can’t make it. We’re glad that Karen Adams and Ana Maria Fraticelli are continuing as our team managers. We’re still working out assistant coaches as well and hope to see some new faces as well as some familiar faces.
As in the past we depend on you to register with USATF for team insurance. Their fee is just under $30 this year. You can go ahead and register with them any time; our team is “CARY FIRE (NC – 13-1087).” We’ll have more details on team registration in early June but our fees this year will be:
- High school runner $50 before July 1, $100 after
- Non–high school runner $30 before July 1, $60 after
- For non–competitive runners we request a $15 donation
We welcome kids who are younger than middle school to practice but we need help from parents during practice to ensure they are safe. They won’t be able to run in every race but we will do our best to include them when we can.
Grace and peace to you!
Ana María Fraticelli
We’ve updated the Meet Schedule on the site. All current key communication happens through TeamSnap. Ask for details if you think you’re missing messages.
Some details about our summer plans.
First, the practice schedule. Here is the basic plan:
- Mondays @ 6:30pm @ Apex Nature Park. Meet at the gazebo next to the tennis courts. The focus of these nights is speed, but we’re still building our base right now.
- Thursdays @ 6:30pm @ Hilltop-Needmore Park. Meet under the big tree next to the (old) clubhouse. The focus of these nights is distance, but we’ll add some variety to these nights.
- Saturdays @ 7:30am @ Sugg Farm. Meet near the gate at the end of Grigsby Ave. The focus of these mornings is hill work and general fitness.
Second, the meet schedule is developing, but you can check out that page on our site for the latest news.
Third, it’s time to begin your registration process. Go to the registration page on the site to work through the various steps for registration. If you need a uniform, we’ll be handling that in a week or two. We’re making some changes this year.
Fourth, though you likely know this already, but here is our current team of volunteers making the year happen:
- Daniel Baker, AD
- Jim Martin, Head Coach
- Josiah Ruhl, Head Coach
- Elias Ruhl, Head Coach
- Henry Noel, Assistant Coach
- Josh Ruhl, Assistant Coach
- Caleb Weathers, Assistant Coach
- Ana Maria Fraticelli, Team Mom
- Karen Adams, Team Mom
What a gift to be able to honor God with our bodies through a sport like cross country. As the apostle said, “And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him” (Colossians 3:17). Of course, he had cross country in mind when he said that! We want our actions and words in our practices and meets to be “in the name of the Lord Jesus”—which means done so that others would praise him, done consistently with his holiness and character, and done with an awareness of him as we workout.
We hope 2021 is a great season of growth for you—as a runner but especially in your walk with Christ.
Hello, everyone! The season is almost here. Here are some details on our summer running and fall season:
1. 1st practice will be June 7th at Hilltop-Needmore Park, 6pm. We’ll meet with the parents a bit and have the kids do some running.
The plan for now is Hilltop-Needmore on Mon and Thursday at 6pm and then Sugg Farm (2401 Grigsby Avenue, Holly Springs, NC 27540) on Saturday mornings at 7:30am.
2. The coaches for this year will be me, Jim Martin, and Josiah Ruhl. But…we need some assistant coaches to help with practices and maybe manage an occasional one if one of us can’t be there. Usually this is only once or twice per season. Are you interested? Shoot me an email and let me know.
3. I’m pleased to announce this year that Ana Maria Fraticelli and Karen Adams will be our team managers (team moms). They bring a lot of energy and commitment to the team and also a desire to see us grow in our organization.
4. Along these lines we’ll be using TeamSnap app for schedules, RSVP for meets, etc. Details coming about that. Likely it’ll be July when we get that set up. Until then, we’ll use our Google Group pretty exclusively.
5. The registration deadline for this year is June 30th. Till then, feel free to run with us and see if this is what you’d like to do for the fall season.
6. One other change for the year is that we’ll have some track workouts with Josh Estepp who is coaching the Heritage Academy cross country team. Details coming.
See you soon! Feel free to ask if you have questions I didn’t answer.
Sorry, more details would have been helpful. Here’s the link for a map of the Hilltop-Needmore Park: https://www.fuquay-varina.org/DocumentCenter/View/4695/HNTPP-Trail-Map?bidId=.
We’ll meet there at 6pm.
Basically, varsity will work off the Red path, middle school will work on the yellow path, and parents/littles will work on the blue path. This will be at the start, at least.
The two issues we have to deal with now are keeping below that 25-person limit and also COVID itself. If you have had exposure to COVID, please stay home. For the 25-person limit, we should be good if we keep to these three groups.
And…hydrate. It’s hot. Drink a good amount of water but mix in some non-water so you don’t get too low on your sodium and other nutrients.
We started last night. Through the season our basic practice plan is:
Time: Mondays 6-7:30pm
Location: Symphony Lake in Regency Park (occasionally Hilltop-Needmore park)
Focus: Speed (eventually)
Time: Thursdays 6:30-8pm
Location: New Hill Tobacco Trail (1309 New Hill Olive Chapel Rd, Apex, NC 27502)
Time: Saturdays 7:30-9am
Location: Sugg Farm in Holly Springs
Focus: Hills (eventually)
And…some notes about meets this season. Right now these are just some ideas. We won’t do multiple travel meets but likely choose one (Liberty or Nashville, not both):
- Dual/triple meets with some homeschool clubs
- Shooting for a few meets that are middle school only
- Corinth-Holders High School (late August)
- Pioneer Clash of the Classes – Boone, NC – Aug 22
- Jungle Run – Sept 5th (Sat)
- Smithfield-Selma Invitational – Sep 19th (Sat)
- Greensboro Invitational – Sept 26 (Micah Winn ran this last year)
- Lynchburg, VA HSPN – Oct 2–3 Liberty University (this would replace Nashville if we run it)
- Great American Cross Country Festival Wake Med – Oct 3 (individual entry only, $45 per)
- NCHEAC State Meet Greensboro – Oct 9 – Hagan-Stone State Park
- Nashville Nationals – Nov 1 (based on previous years)
- Foot Locker Regionals Charlotte – Nov 28 (based on previous years)
- This site gives a number of NC xc races
- Timed park runs in Durham – these were good fillers for us last year
Congratulations to our varsity boys for taking 1st place at both states and nationals (scroll down to Nov 2, 2019, to see meet results for nationals). This is definitely a team victory. Having a top finisher helps a ton, but it takes a team to win an event like these. You can see all results for the national meet here.
In the varsity girls race several got PRs, which was true of our boys as well. Harder to determine that with the middle schoolers since they run a 2.1-mile course at nationals. This was a highly competitive race overall, with the top 10 girls coming in under 20′ and the top varsity boy finishing in a Flash-like 15:24. Of course, we were part of that competitiveness with our top 7 varsity boys coming in under 18′.
In the state meet, kudos to the middle school girls for taking 1st place and the middle school boys for being runner-up.
You guys have worked hard for a long time now. Well done!! You can’t predict the outcomes of races, but hard work is an achievement in itself that will stick with you throughout your lives. The coaches are extremely proud of you.
The 2019 season begins with pre-season workouts on Monday, June 3rd. To start the pre-season training, fill out this waiver. Email it back to me (firstname.lastname@example.org) or bring a copy to one of the practices. This will serve as your initial registration.
Here’s our basic summer schedule (though keep up with our Google group for changes on a given night or week):
- Mondays – 6:00pm – Symphony Lake Greenway (lake near Koka Booth Amphitheater in Cary). Meet in the official parking lot for the Greenway (marked “P” on the map at the town website). Practices run by Daniel Baker.
- Thursdays – 6:30pm – Apex Nature Park. Practices run by Elias and Dawn Ruhl.
- Saturdays – 7:30am – Sugg Farm in Holly Springs. Practices run by Josiah Ruhl.
Any other questions, send them to me (email@example.com).
Updated link for the Moncure Panther Prowl…
I asked our crew what races they’re running or thinking about running. Here’s the list: