We’re excited for our pre–season work to start soon! Here are some details:
Our pre–season practices start Monday, June 6. Our current plan is:
- Monday 7–8:30pm at the American Tobacco Trail New Hill–Olive Chapel parking area. Focus on distance. (Note: park closing time shifts with sunset so we may need to end our first couple practices early.)
- Thursday at 7–8:30pm at the picnic shelter at Seymour Athletic Fields in Apex. Focus on speed and pacing.
- Saturday at 7:30–9am at Sugg Farm park. Focus on “hills and drills.” Sometimes the gates are not open yet at 7:30 so we park just outside.
Occasionally we may try a Durham parkrun, switch to Hilltop–Needmore Park, or do some track work at Apex Friendship Middle School. We’re planning to use TeamSnap exclusively to communicate changes to practice location and schedule, so please reach out to us if you are not on TeamSnap currently.
Our primary coaches will be Scott Moonen, Eli Ruhl, Josiah Ruhl. Please let us know if you’re interested and available to assist with coaching in case someone else can’t make it. We’re glad that Karen Adams and Ana Maria Fraticelli are continuing as our team managers. We’re still working out assistant coaches as well and hope to see some new faces as well as some familiar faces.
As in the past we depend on you to register with USATF for team insurance. Their fee is just under $30 this year. You can go ahead and register with them any time; our team is “CARY FIRE (NC – 13-1087).” We’ll have more details on team registration in early June but our fees this year will be:
- High school runner $50 before July 1, $100 after
- Non–high school runner $30 before July 1, $60 after
- For non–competitive runners we request a $15 donation
We welcome kids who are younger than middle school to practice but we need help from parents during practice to ensure they are safe. They won’t be able to run in every race but we will do our best to include them when we can.
Grace and peace to you!
Ana María Fraticelli